Saturday, April 23, 2011

Book review from my first "book club" read


This isn't the first opportunity I've had to read this book. My Aunt had given it to me a couple of years ago, but I hadn't had a chance to read it. So when a woman in my ward asked me to be a part of the 'book club', I was pretty excited. 1) it gives me an excuse to lock my kids in their room and threaten them to silence  read. 2) get to be part of something with other women.

Synopsis of the book:
Basically a guy sets out to climb K2, and after an unsuccessful try, stumbles upon a village in Pakistan and promises to build them a school. He completes this school and gets the help of other mountain climbers and raises money to build 100+ more schools. You can read the actual write up here<--.
Over all this book was a decent read. 
I like the idea of donating time and money to better someone else. It also gives another look into how the 'real' Islamic culture is. Also how education is such a valuable asset to any culture. 
The prose in it was pretty bad for my taste. I personally don't like meeting 5 different characters in a paragraph. Especially when you are reading about people with very similar names. There was some propaganda towards the government that I didn't think added anything, besides stabs, to the book. (it runs the course through 9/11) I found that the author also was a little flagrant in his descriptions of events.
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being all time bestest ever...I'd give this one a 3.
Not sure what our next read will be but I'm excited to be part of a 'sophisticated society'. Reminds me of "the finer things club" in the Office. Maybe I'll host next meeting and we will eat on real china and have cheese!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Nana S. said...

It sounds like a very enlightening and enjoyable activity. I really enjoyed your comments. You express yourself very well. Love to all.

Undaunted said...

LOL China indeed. Did you hear about how he made up some of the events? It was just in the news and I thought it was interesting. Hope you have had a wonderful Saturday. Miss you bunches. Not the same without your wit. Love ya

Meggan said...

The Office. Only the best show in world. I am happy you are part of such a 'sophisticated society' too. You are a very smart woman and am proud to be your husband.
Love