Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A new kind of game

I'm still fighting the need to do something here in Alaska. I've looked at craigslist religiously trying to job a job, a play group, photography friends, and exercise of some kind. I think I finally found something to fill the void of whatever is missing, and that would be rugby. I know...can you believe it!!! I certainly can't. And to be honest...I had a few mis-firing brain connections when I first thought about doing it because I thought it was lacrosse. It wasn't until I was talking to my super smart hubby that I finally realized what I was committing myself too.

And then...reality!

I was ok with running around with a stick and getting beat up. But to discover that I would be running around with a bunch of  brute women and getting tackled...not ok. So for two weeks I was wishy washy about the whole thing. Could I do it? Really? Yea...I can do it and it's going to be awesome. I can't do it. Yes I can. No...really Meggan you can't...you're a wimp. Shut up...I can do it. And that got exhausting real quick:)


So, I put it in the back of my mind figuring I would decide, when the first practice came around, March 1st. So I took to trying to find a job instead. Because, remember, I had a void to fill and staying at home with the kids wasn't helping my mind. So I found a daycare that was hiring because at least that way I could bring the kids and get paid...even if my paycheck would just go to covering them being there. That was yesterday that I dropped that off. I got in a fight with Matt about not exercising and feeling useless. All in all...the day of the first practice was not looking too promising.

But.
At 6:04 I decided not to be a martyr. I finished feeding baby C, got myself dressed, and went. I actually went! Turns out getting out the door was way easier than finding building they were practicing in. Practice started at 630 and I walked in, to the right building, at 700. After 30 minutes of walking around trying to figure out where to go,cause no one seemed to know anything about a rugby practice, I was ready to call it quits and go home. Because clearly I wasn't supposed to go. It's a sign right?

NO!

I talked myself out of being a quitter. "You are just making excuses. You always do this. Get a little road block thrown in your way and you give up". Well I wasn't giving up this time. And I'm glad I didn't. The girls were all super nice and probably the exact opposites of 'brutes'. And I find personal amusement in the fact that there are THREE red heads on the team!

So...that's that. I am a member of the Arctic Foxes rugby team in Anchorage Alaska!
Go me! :D
Pin It!

6 comments:

Nana S. said...

Go Meg, and have fun !!!

Jen said...

YAYAYAYAY!!! I'm So glad you went!!!

Jenn said...

That is so freaking cool. I hope you love it! I keep talking myself out of joining a team sport, but really want to. Way to go!

Undaunted said...

Glad you had a good time and was able to conquer some of your fear. Don't get a job. Spend time with your little ones. :)

Katrina said...

You go girl... I am so proud of you.

Lildonbro said...

That's so exciting! I once thought about joining a Rugby team because I like to hit people...really, in a way I do. I didn't do it because I got scared, and I'm cheap. Instead I play church ball and knock girls on the ground and almost foul out...same thing to me, but the girls aren't hitting back...I can handle that.