Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A new kind of game

I'm still fighting the need to do something here in Alaska. I've looked at craigslist religiously trying to job a job, a play group, photography friends, and exercise of some kind. I think I finally found something to fill the void of whatever is missing, and that would be rugby. I know...can you believe it!!! I certainly can't. And to be honest...I had a few mis-firing brain connections when I first thought about doing it because I thought it was lacrosse. It wasn't until I was talking to my super smart hubby that I finally realized what I was committing myself too.

And then...reality!

I was ok with running around with a stick and getting beat up. But to discover that I would be running around with a bunch of  brute women and getting tackled...not ok. So for two weeks I was wishy washy about the whole thing. Could I do it? Really? Yea...I can do it and it's going to be awesome. I can't do it. Yes I can. No...really Meggan you can't...you're a wimp. Shut up...I can do it. And that got exhausting real quick:)


So, I put it in the back of my mind figuring I would decide, when the first practice came around, March 1st. So I took to trying to find a job instead. Because, remember, I had a void to fill and staying at home with the kids wasn't helping my mind. So I found a daycare that was hiring because at least that way I could bring the kids and get paid...even if my paycheck would just go to covering them being there. That was yesterday that I dropped that off. I got in a fight with Matt about not exercising and feeling useless. All in all...the day of the first practice was not looking too promising.

But.
At 6:04 I decided not to be a martyr. I finished feeding baby C, got myself dressed, and went. I actually went! Turns out getting out the door was way easier than finding building they were practicing in. Practice started at 630 and I walked in, to the right building, at 700. After 30 minutes of walking around trying to figure out where to go,cause no one seemed to know anything about a rugby practice, I was ready to call it quits and go home. Because clearly I wasn't supposed to go. It's a sign right?

NO!

I talked myself out of being a quitter. "You are just making excuses. You always do this. Get a little road block thrown in your way and you give up". Well I wasn't giving up this time. And I'm glad I didn't. The girls were all super nice and probably the exact opposites of 'brutes'. And I find personal amusement in the fact that there are THREE red heads on the team!

So...that's that. I am a member of the Arctic Foxes rugby team in Anchorage Alaska!
Go me! :D
Pin It!

6 comments:

Nana S. said...

Go Meg, and have fun !!!

Jenn said...

YAYAYAYAY!!! I'm So glad you went!!!

Jenn said...

That is so freaking cool. I hope you love it! I keep talking myself out of joining a team sport, but really want to. Way to go!

Undaunted ~ My Life One Day at a Time said...

Glad you had a good time and was able to conquer some of your fear. Don't get a job. Spend time with your little ones. :)

Katrina said...

You go girl... I am so proud of you.

Lildonbro said...

That's so exciting! I once thought about joining a Rugby team because I like to hit people...really, in a way I do. I didn't do it because I got scared, and I'm cheap. Instead I play church ball and knock girls on the ground and almost foul out...same thing to me, but the girls aren't hitting back...I can handle that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...